Social Sequence Analysis and Applications in Life Course Research
Instructor: Wenxuan Huang, PhD
Sequence analysis has been widely applied in life course research to understand the temporal pattern of life events (e.g., employment, marriage, and fertility) by scrutinizing timing, duration, and order. As a holistic approach, sequence analysis “brings course back to the life course research.” This short course will provide an introduction of this method and its typical applications to examine life course phenomena. This short course will cover the topics:
- Conceptual foundation of life course research
- Basic concepts of sequence analysis
- Brief introduction to R package “TraMineR”
- Describing and visualizing sequence data
- Identifying typical life course patterns
Date: Friday, April 7
Time: 12:00-1:00 PM
Location: 3505 N Charles St.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for course slides.