Announcing New HPC Director Dr. Feinian Chen

feinian

We are thrilled to announce the appointment of Dr. Feinian Chen as our new Director of Hopkins Population Center, effective Fall of 2023.

Below is a message from Dr. Feinian Chen.

Dear HPC associates and community,

I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to Lingxin for her many years of dedicated leadership at the Hopkins Population Center. Under her guidance, the HPC has flourished and achieved remarkable growth. As I step into this role, I am humbled by the responsibility and inspired by the legacy she has left. I am also pleased to note that Lingxin will continue to contribute as the director of the scientific core. Likewise, I’m excited to have Emily Agree and Alison Gemmill as the directors of the administrative and development core, ensuring a smooth and effective transition in leadership.

My professional journey has been closely intertwined with population centers, including the Carolina Population Center and Maryland Population Research Center. Through these experiences, I have gained invaluable insights into interdisciplinary scholarship and collaborative population research. Now, having the privilege to lead the Hopkins Population Center, I am truly thrilled. Our center is a hub of world-class research in population dynamics and population health, and I am eager to contribute to its ongoing success.

Looking ahead, our focus will include the upcoming task of renewing the P2C grant from NICHD in two years. In order to broaden our impact and address pressing societal challenges, I am committed to building upon the center’s existing strengths while also exploring new directions, including critical areas such as gender inequality, life course, and environment/climate change. I am also hoping to expand our existing pilot grant program and summer fellowship programs and to facilitate more faculty-student researcher collaboration across different schools and departments.

To prepare for my new role, I have been immersing myself in the cutting-edge research generated by the HPC associates. In the next few months, each one of you will be receiving an email from me, and I would like to request a brief one-on-one meeting. I hope you will say yes! I believe these conversations will be instrumental in understanding our community’s expertise and identifying areas for potential growth and collaboration. Your contributions are invaluable, and I am eager to work together to shape the future of HPC.

I am deeply honored to lead the Hopkins Population Center and excited about the possibilities that lie ahead. Lingxin’s dedication and the center’s accomplishments provide a strong foundation, and I am committed to building upon it and propelling the center to new heights.

Best,

Feinian